Syllabi for the proposed course
1. Advanced Semiconductor Devices:
Energy bands & charge carriers in semiconductors, Excess carriers in semiconductors, Junctions, Field effect transistors, BJT, Negative conductance microwave devices,
- B.G. Streetman, “SolidState Devices”, PHI
- Millman & Halkias, “Integrated circuits”
- A.S. Sedra & K.C. Smith. “Microelectronic circuits”, OxfordUniversity press
2. Telecommunication System Engineering
Clos Network, Recursive construction of switches, strictly Non-blocking, rearrangebly non-blocking, Clos theorem, Slepiau Duguid theorm. Paull’s theorem, Paull’s matrix, Cantor network.
Network traffic arrival and Service characterization, Erlang formulae, Mathematical modeli1ng, Blocking Models (Lee’s approximation), Karnaugh ‘s method for Blocking probability estimate.
Stored program control (SPC) exchange, Space, Time switch implementation. Super multiplexing. Operating system architecture for switching system. Overload control mechanisms.
User to network signaling, pulse, tone signaling, common channel signaling. SS7 architecture and protocol stack. IP te1ephony, IP network architecture, Generic architecture, Banyan networks, Delta networks, Shufflenet as delta network, buffered banyan network, Input vs. output queuing.
Discussion of various packet switching architectures
- Joseph Y. Hui. Switching and Traffic theory for integrated broadband networks, Kluwer Academic Press
- M. Schwartz, Telecommunication Networks: protocols. Modeling and analysis, Addison-Wesley Longman publishing company. Boston, 1986
- H. Jonathan Chao, Broadband Packet Switching Technology- A practical guide to ATM Switchs and 1P routers, John Wiley and sons. Inc.
- T. Viswanathan, em Telecommunication Switching Systems and networks, Prentice Hall of India, 1992.
- R-L.Freeman, Telecommunication System Engineering, John Wiley and Sons
3. Numerical, Methods and Operations Research
Introduction to numerical methods, roots of equations, solution of simultaneous algebraic equations, interpolation, numerical integration and differentiation, solution of ordinary differential equations.
Introductions to operations research, linear programming problems-formulations and solution, graphical and simplex methods, two phase method, duality concept, optimality principle, transportation problems, assignment problems, integer programming, dynamic programming, goal programming, inventory control models.
- F.B. Hilderbrand-Introduction to numerical analysis, TMH.
- B.S.Grewal-Numerical methods in engineering and science, khanna pub.
- Hillier and Licbarmann, “Introduction to operations, research” (1990) McGraw Hill.
- M. Metwally, H.V. Tamaschhe, G.R. West, “Operations Research”, J.K. Pub., London.
- S.D. Sharma, “Operation research”, K.N.R.N. and Co.
1. Optical Communication
Wave Propagation through Optical Fibers, Optical Sources, Optical Detectors, Optical Receiver Design, Optical Fiber Communication Systems; Digital system design, Modulation formats for analog optical communication systems, Introduction to WDM concepts, advanced multiplexing strategies
- Keiser, Gerd / “Optical Fiber Communications” / McGraw-Hill / 3rd Ed.
- Senior, John M. / “Optical Fiber Communications Principles & Practices” / Prentice-Hall (India) / 2nd Ed.
- William, B. Jones Jr. / “Introduction to Optical Fiber Communication Systems” / Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc. International Edition
- Wilson, J. & Hawkes, J.F.B. / “Optoelectronics An Introduction”/Prentice-Hall (India)
- Khare, R.P. / “Fiber Optics & Optoelectronics” / OxfordUniversity Press
- Agrawal, D.C. / “Fiber Optic Communication” / S. Chand
- Slavarajan, A., Kar.S. & Srinivasan T. / “Optical Fiber Communication, Principles & Systems” / Tata McGraw Hill
2. Information Theory & Coding:
Entropy and mutual information, rate distortion function, source coding, variable length coding, discrete memory less channels, capacity cost functions, channel coding, linear block codes, cyclic codes, convolutional codes, sequential and probabilistic decoding, majority logic decoding, burst error-correcting codes.
- Cober & Thomas, “Elements of Information Theory”, 1991
- Peterson & Weldon, “Information and coding theory”
- Robert Ash, “Information Theory”
- Gallager, “Information Theory and Reliable Communication”
3. Microwave Engineering:
Microwave tubes-UHF limitations in conventional tubes, analysis of a general two terminal oscillator, condition for build up and amplitude limitation, analysis and operation of multicavity and reflex klystyron. Admittance diagram of klystron, analysis and operation of a traveling wave magnetron, performance charts of magnetron tubes, principle of operation of a traveling wave tube.
Microwave semiconductor devices-classification of microwave devices, tunnel diode, point contact diode, gunn diode, two valley structures, mode of operation, circuit realization, IMPATT diode, read diode, circuit realization, PIN diode, basic principle of operation, equivalent circuit, application as switch modulator and phase shifter, microwave bipolar and field effect transistors characteristics and performance. Microwave circuits-voltage and current definition, impedance representation of one port, two port and n port junctions, scattering matrix and its properties, Tee’s and directional couplers, transmission matrix representations.
- Samuel Y. Liao, “Microwave Devices & Circuits”. PHI
- Collin, “Foundation of Microwave Engineering”, McGraw Hill
- K.C.Gupta, “Microwaves”, Willey Eastern
4. VLSI Technology:
IC components-their characterization and design. Analysis and design of basic logic circuits. Linear Ics large scale integration, Computer simulation of Ics and layout design. High voltage Ics, GaAs Ics, Failure, reliability and yield of OICs, Fault midelling and testing.
- R.S.Muller & I.Kamins, “Device Electronics for Integrated Circuits:, John Wiley & Sons
- W.R. Runyan and K.E.Bean, “Semiconductor Integrated Circuit Processing Technology”, Addison Wesley.
- A.S.Sedra & K.C.Smith, “Microelectronic Circuits”, OxfordUniversity Press
1. Advanced microprocessors:
Overview Of 8 Bit Microprocessor (8085), Architecture Of 16 Bit Microprocessor (8086), Instruction Set, Memory Organization And Memory Control; Signals For 8086 Microprocessor, Input / Output Interface, Interrupt Structure, Assembly Language Programming, Controllers, Microprocessor Application Methodology, Intel 80286, 80386, 80486, 586, Coprocessors.
Introduction To 8 & 16 Bit Microcontrollers, 8031/8051 Microcontroller’s Architecture, Memory Organization, Internal 8051 Memory, Addressing Modes, Interrupt Structure And Interrupt Priorities, Port Structure And Applications, Accessing Internal And External Memory, Timer/Counter Function And Different Modes Of Operations.
- Hall, D.V. “Microprocessor and Interfacing”, TMH (2nd edition)
- Brey, “The Intel Microprocessor”, PHI(4th edition0
- Rafiquek Kuzzman, V. “Microprocessor and Application”
- Y. Rajasree, “Advanced Microprocessor”, New age international publishers
- Aditya P.Mathur, “Introductiont Microprocessors”, TMH 3rd edition
2. Probability, Statistics & Queuing Model:
Review of probability, random variable & processes, estimation & detection with random sequence, BAYES, MMSE, MAP, ML Schemes, KL and sampling theorems, representation, ambiguity function, Markov sequence, Little’s theorem, modeling & analysis of M/M-/- queues, Burke’s theorems, reversibility method of stages, analysis of M/C, queues, queues with vacations, work conservation principles, priority queues, queues served in cyclic order, fluid-flow and diffusion approximations.
- Papoulis, “Probability and Random Variables”, McGraw Hill
- Gray and Davisson, “Introduction to Statistical Signal Processing”
- Klein Rock, “Queuing Systems”, Vol I & II John Wiley & Sons
Elective-II & III (Any Two)
1. Digital Communication:
PCM, DPCM, DM, TDM, ISI, Pulse shaping, partial response signaling, optimum transmit and receive filters, error probability, equalization matched filtering, digital modulation, coherent and non coherent detection, carrier and symbol synchronization, error correcting codes-linear and convolution codes, spread spectrum techniques, CDMA.
- Haykin, Simon / “Communication Systems” / John Wiley / IV Ed.
- Singh, R.P.&Sapre, S.D. / “Communication Systems: Analog & Digital” / Tata McGraw-Hill.
- Lathi, B.P / “Modern Digital & Analog Communication Systems” / OxfordUniversity Press /.
- Simon Haykin / “Digital Communication” / John Wiley.
- Taub & Schilling / “Principles of Communication Systems” / Tata McGraw-Hill /
- Prokis J.J / “Digital Communications” / Mc Graw Hill /
- Schaum’s Outlines / “Analog & Digital Communication” / Tata McGraw-Hill.
- 2. Antennas Analysis & Synthesis:
Vector potential antenna theorems and definitions, dipole, loop, slot radiators, aperture antennas array theorems, pattern synthesis, self and mutual impedance, scanning antennas, signal processing antennas, traveling wave antenna, antenna measurements.
- Robert S. Elliot, “Antenna theory & Design”, PHI
- J.D. Cross, “Antenna Theory”, McGraw Hill International
3. VLSI System Design:
Emphasis on the synthesis based approach to VLSI Design Relevant issues related to physical design automation such as placement, floor planning, routing and compaction are covered. Combinational & sequential logic synthesis issues and algorithms are discussed. Detailed coverage of HDLs and high level synthesis algorithms and issues.
- D.A.Pucknell, “Basic VLSI Design:”
- Kamran Eshranghian, Neil Weste, “Principles of CMOS Design”,
- Addison Wesley & Rashid, “Spice for Circuit of Electronics using Pspice”, PHI
- Baker Li Zoyce, “CMOS Circuit Design, Layout and Simulation”, PHI
4. Biomedical Electronics:
The age of Biomedical Engineering, Development of Biomedical Instrumentation,
Transducers & Electrodes, Sources of Bioelectric potentials, Cardiovascular Measurements, Patient Care & Monitoring, Measurements in Respiratory system, Diagnostic Techniques, Bio Telemetry.
- Cormwell / “Biomedical Instrumentation and Measurements”/ Prentice Hall (India).
- Khandpur R.S./”Biomedical Instrumentation”/ Tata McGraw-Hill.
- Tompkins / “Biomedical DSP: C Language Examples and Laboratory Experiments for the IBM PC”/ Prentice Hall (India).
5. ISDN and Broadband Networks
ISDN Channels, Access interface, functional devices and reference, Overview of ISDN services, Protocol structure, D- Channel Layer 3 Protocols, Numbering and addressing, ISDN Products. Broadband networks-need, Fast packet switching, Frame relay, Cell relay & ATM, FDDl, SMDS. Frame Relay -Basic Definition, Protocol Architecture, Permanent and switched VC, Frame relay standards, Multicast services. ATM- ATM standards, Terms and Concepts, B-ISDN Protocol Architecture, Physical Layer, ATM Layer, AAL, ATM services, ATM switches. SMDS-Overview, SMDS Interface & Services. ISDN, B-ISDN and Internet Protocols.
1. ISDN- by Kessler & Southeick- Mc Graw-Hill Third Ed. 96. /
6. Optical Networks:
Introduction of Optical Networks, SONET/SDH, ATM, WDM Networks Elements, WDM Network Design, Access Networks, Optical Switching, Architecture of IP & MPLS based optical Transport Networks, MPLS & Optical Networks, Network Survivability.
- Ramaswami, Rajiv & Sivarajan, Kumar N./ “Optical Networks A Practical perspective”/ Morgan Kaufmann Publishers / 2nd Ed.
- Black, Uyless/”Optical Networks Third Generation Transport Systems”/ Pearson Educations
- Tanenbaum. Andrew S./ “Computer Networks”/ Prentice Hall (India)
- Murthy, C. Siva Ram & Gurusamy, Mohan / “WDM Optical Networks Concepts, Design & Algorithms” / Prentice Hall (India)
7. Digital Communication Networks:
OSI model, queuing theory, physical layer, error detection and correction, data link layer, ARQ strategies, framing, media access layer, modeling and analysis of important media access control protocols, FDDI and DQDB MAC protocols for LANs and MANs, network layer, flow control & routing, TCP/IP protocols, ATM.
- Kartalopoulos, “Understanding SONET/SDH and ATM Communication Networks For the next millennium”, PHI
- A.S. Tanenbaum, “Computer Networks”, PHI
- William Stallings, “Data and Computer Communication”
8. Satellite Communication:
Introduction: Historical background and overall perspective, satellite network modeling, link calculations, FM analysis, TV Transmission, Digital modulation, Error control, Multiple access, FDMA, TDMA, CDMA, Orbital considerations, Launching, Atmospheric effects, Transponders, Earth stations.
- Pratt & Bostian, “Satellite Communications”, John Wiley & Sons
- Roddy D. “Satellite Communications”, Prentice Hal
- M.Richaria, “Satellite Communication Systems”
9. Computer Aided Design of Electronic Circuits:
Introduction to philosophy of simulation, Modeling analogies and their role. Introduction to general purpose analog computer and its application for simulation of linear and non-linear systems, Introduction to hybrid computation, digital computer simulation of electrical and electronics circuits, application to specific problems in communication digital filtering etc. Computer aided design of integrated circuits.
- D.A.Pucknell, “Basic VLSI Design”, Kamran Eshranghian
- Neil Weste, “Principles of CMOS Design”, Addison Wesley
- Rashid, “Spice for Circuit of Electronics using Pspice”, PHI
Optical Phenomenon in Semiconductors. LEDs, Semiconductor Lasers, Avalanche and PIN Detectors and their Characteristics, Optical Fiber and there Characteristics, Fiber Optic Sensors, Integrated Optics. Electro-optic Effects, Sensors & Display Devices
- J.Wilson, JFB Hawks “Optoelectronics an Introduction”, PHI
- R.G. Hunsberger, Integrated Optics: Theory and Technology Springer, Verlag Series 1991
- G.P. Agarwal, Non Linear Optics, Academic Press, 1989
- Williams B.Jones, “An Introduction to Optical Fiber Communication System”, HRW
- Beng Streetman, “SolidState Electronic Devices”, PHI
Elective-IV & V (Any Two)
1. Communication Theory:
Rate distortion theory, channel coding theorems, digital modulation schemes, Trellis coded modulation, digital transmission over band limited channels, fading multipath channels, synchronization. Analog modulation schemes, optimum/suboptimum receivers, diversity combing, cellular mobile communication. Equalization.
- S.Haykin, “Communication Systems”, Wiley Eastern
- D.Sakrison, “Communication Theory”, John Wiley & Sons
- Taub & Schilling, “Principles of communication systems” McGraw Hill
2. Radar Engineering:
Radar equation, CW and frequency modulated radars, MTI and pulse Doppler radar, MTI delay line cancellors. MTI from moving platform, tracking radars, Monopulse tracking range , Doppler, Electronic scanning radars, beam forming and steering methods, noise and clutter, ambiguity function, radar signal processing SAR.
- R.S.Berkowitz, “Modern radar”, Jphn Wiley & Sons
- G.J. Wheeler, “Radar Fundamentals”, Prentice Hall
- I.Merrill Skolnik, “Radar Handbook”, McGraw Hill
3. VLSI Testing:
Introduction, Modeling, Logic Simulation, Fault Modeling, Fault Simulation, Testing for Single Stuck Fault, Testing for Bridging Faults, Design for Testability, Some Advanced Scan Concepts
1. Abramovici,Miron & Breuer,Melvin & Friedman,Arthur D.”Digital Systems Testing and Testable Design”, Jaico Publishing house.
2. Bushnell,Michael & Agrawal, Vishwani , D, “Essentials of Electronic Testing for Digital, Memory and Mixed Signal VLSI Circuits”, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
3. Miczo,Alexander,”Digital Logic Testing and Simulation”, John Wiley & sons
4. Image Processing:
Human visual system and image perception, monochrome & colour vision models, colour representation, image sampling & quantization, 2-D systems, image transforms, image coding, stochastic models for image representation, image enhancement, restoration & reconstruction, image analysis using multi resolution techniques.
- Gonzales & Woods, “Digital Image Processing”, Addison Wesley
- A.K.Jain, “Image Processing”, Wiley Eastern, 1995
- W.K.Pratt, “Digital Image Processing”
- A.Rosenfelf and A.C.Kak, “Digital Image Procressing”
- V.Bhaskaran & K.Konstantinides, “Image and Video Compression Standards”
5. Virtual Instrumentation:
Review of virtual Instrumentation, Data-flow techniques, VI programming techniques, Data acquisition basics, Common instrument interfaces, Use of analysis tools, Applications of VI, VI Applications in various fields.
- Lab VIEW Graphical Programming II Ed., Gary Johnson, McGraw Hill, 1997.
- Lab VIEW for Everyone, Lisa K Wells & Jeffrey Travis, Prentice Hall, 1997.
- Basic Concepts of Lab VIEW 4, Sokoloff, Prentice Hall, 1998. -PC Interfacing for Data Acquisition & Process Control,
- 2nd Ed., S. Gupta, J.P. Gupta, Instrument Society of America, 1994
6. Mobile Communication:
Introduction to mobile radio networks, channel description and analysis, propagation effects, technologies, TDMA/CDMA Techniques, architectures, cellular systems, GSM systems, mobile satellite communication, wireless AEM, third generation cellular, universal mobile telecommunication systems(UMTS).
- K.David & T.Bgenker, “Digital Mobile Systems”
- J.Dunlop et al, “Digital Mobile Communication and The Tetra System”
7. Embedded Systems:
Introduction to Embedded systems & RTOS, Embedded processors (86, Motorola- PPC, ARM), Application areas, Devices & Architecture of ARM,PPC, X86, Review of memory Architecture, I/ O, Timer/ Counter & Interrupts.
Introduction to DSP, Interface to Analog world, Introduction to Mat Lab
What are an RTOS, Scheduler Algorithm (Ratemonotonic, Deadlin mononotonic), Priority, Priority Inversion, Task, Threads, Processes, Memory Management, and Commercially available RTOS
C for embedded Systems: Programming considerations like memory usage, runtime library usage, interrupt service routines. Booting process, memory mapping address space, external registers/ system registers, cache management etc. Device drivers for embedded systems. Interfacing C with assembly code- Inline assembly. Serial communications, networking stack protocols for embedded systems.
Design &Tools: Design of an embedded application, Examples / Case Study.
- Burns, Alan and Wellings, Andy, ” Real-Time Systems and Programming Languages “, Second Edition. Harlow: Addison-Wesley-Longman, 1997.
- Raymond J .A. Bhur and Donald L.Bialey, “An Introduction to real time systems: Design to networking with C/C++ “, Prentice Hall Inc. New Jersey,” 1999.
- Grehan Moore, and Cyliax, “Real time Programming: A guide to 32 Bit Embedded Development. Reading “Addison-Wesley-Longman, 1998.
- Heath, Steve, “Embedded Systems Design “, Newnes 1997.
- Embedded System Design: A Unified Hardware /Software Introduction, Frank Vahid and Tony Givargis, Wiley 2001.
8. Networks Management Systems:
Data Communications & Network Management Overview, Standards, Models & Language, SNMPv1 Network Management: Organization , Information, Communication and Functional Models, SNMP Management RMON, Telecommunications Management Network Operations Systems, Conceptual Model, Standards, Architecture, Management Service, Architecture & Integrated view, Implementation Issues
- Subramanian, Mani / “Network Management Principles & Practice” / Pearson Education
- Raman, Lakshmi G. / “Fundamentals of Telecommunications Network Management” / Prentice Hall (India)
- Related RFCs (Request For Comments) Available at www.ietf.org/rfc.html
9. Architecture & Applications of Digital Signal Processors:
DSP Processors, Architecture, Instruction Set, Applications: Filtering, Voice/ Speech, Telecommunication, Imaging, Instrumentation, Military.
- K. Padmanabhan, S. Ananthi & R.V. Rajeshwaran / “A Practical Approach to Digital Signal Processing”
- TMS , Data Manual
- ADSP Data Manual
- Motorola Data Manual.
- Robiner, L.R. & Gold, B. / “Theory and Applications of Digital Signal Processing” / PHI, 1996
- A.V. Oppenheim & R.W. Schafer / “Digital Signal Processing” / PHI 1995.
10. Mathematical Methods in Signal Processing:
Generalization inverses, regularization of ill-posed problems, Eigen and singular value decompositions, Generalized problems, Interpolation and approximation by least squares and min max error criteria. Optimization techniques for linear and non-linear problems. Applications in various areas of signal processing.
- E.W.Cheney, “Introduction to approximation theory”, McGraw Hill
- R.W.Schafer & L.R.Rabiner. “A Digital Signal Processing Approach to Interpolation”, Proc IEEE Vol61.No.-6, June 1973,pp 692-702